Thursday, November 8, 2007

Correction!

I kind of made a little mistake in my last entry. I said that women, for one month after they deliver are encouraged to eat only fruits and veggies...it's not fruits and veggies, but eggs. They should eat as many eggs as they can for one month. NOt sure why, but that's that!
Classes are going well! Today, and yesterday actually, I had a request to sing "My Heart Will GO On" for the class...yeah, right! Like that will ever happen. I have told them both no, although for my English Corner last night, I gave them the first line and that was it, today I had the whole class sing "Row, Row, ROw your boat". THen I practiced my Chinese on them and they laughed hysterically! I'm not sure if I should be offended... At least I can entertain them! Today we practiced pronouncing and using some words I got from a website. I have gotten some great ideas from About.com! Many games, word lists, lesson plans and such! THere is a list of 1000 most common words in the english language that I am going over with the kids. They know most of the words, but some they don't and often they only know one way to use it. Next week we will play Scattergories! One game Bob has used often with his students is a word game where one student stands with his/her back to the board and another student writes a word on the board and the student then asks the class yes/no questions to guess the word. The kids love it! We've used it in English Corner, I haven't yet used it in class. I also played "What if" with the classes, they like that one. It gives them a chance to come up with ideas on their own and use their imagination. They each wrote a "what if..." question and a "then..." answer. One person read their question and the next person read the answer to their question. It can be pretty funny. ONe of my favorite combos was "what if I were the queen of the world?" the answer was "then all the girls would be dead". HA! I need to give them more time to just discuss and practice english, so I am working out ideas for that. But this is fun! ANd I have a very relaxed schedule outside of class! It's great! Love you all!

1 comment:

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

What up Kyla! Where are all the photos, yo? So fun to hear about your adventures though. Yah for China! You are awesome to take on such cool experience! rock on!
Love, Tarina