Friday, August 31, 2007

Accounting students

So last night I get a call from Lucy. Lucy is a student of accounting and had an english class with Miranda last year. She and Miranda were very good friends and have kept in touch. Lucy would like to continue to improve her english and I am her link. I went to meet her and talk with her last night. I wish you could all be flies on the wall and watch as we talk and a few other people gather to listen. On Wednesday night I went with her to the computer lab to look at pictures of her and Miranda and ended up talking with one of the accounting teachers as well. He wanted to take a picture with me and so he asked her to bring me over last night, but he wasn't able to be there. Instead we talked with a few other of her friends and teachers. We went to one teachers office to hang out and a very entertaining photoshoot ensued, of which I was the main attraction. They all wanted pictures with the American, standing up and shaking hands, sitting in the teachers cushy leather chairs, arms around waists, it was pretty funny. None of them, except Lucy, had an english name and asked me to give each of them one. One of Lucy's friends, who came with her to pick me up at my apartment, I decided to name Brian. He is the class president and very kind and quiet. Not really anything like my Brian in Brazil, but I liked him instantly and wanted someone to have that name. One of the teachers I called Kyle, because he is tall and goofy and reminded me of Khyl Halbert (I love you Khyl!). It's so much fun naming people! I love this! It's easier for me to remember as well! Another of Lucy's friend, who is probably the best english speaker of the group, I have decided to call Mark, after Mark Lamborn, because he smiles very often, like Mark. Tonight I told them we will play a game so they can practice their english. One of the teachers told me he really wants to talk to me, but can't remember much of the english he learned because he hasn't used it. This has gotten me even more excited to start teaching! Love you all!

1 comment:

Khyl and Danielle said...

Tall and Goofy?! Now I know why you smile every time you see me! I always just thought you were happy to see me. My bad:) Thats probably what my wife thinks as well.