Friday, September 21, 2007

Adjustment and cultural faeux paux

I have no clue how to spell "fo paw". You what I mean! I'm not learning french here, that's for sure!
Just thought I'd share a fun little experience I had last night! We had dinner with the Dean of our College last night. All the foreign teachers and some of the other teachers we work the closest with. It was so much fun! We ate at the school "canteen". The food was wonderful! Sun and Wendy know all my favorites so far and they ordered them all, I rolled home at the end of night as I always do when we eat in a group like that. I'm amazed at how much food these people can eat and they are so small!! I'm getting somewhat used to it, however, I can take one for the team! Just undo those pants and loosen that belt...
Anyway, it's customary here to toast 6 times. 3 times by the host (who sits at the "head" of the round table, which is usually the seat in the back of the room upon entering, the guest of honor sits on his right and the 2nd guest of honor sits on his left, the 2nd host sits directly across from the first host) and 3 times by the 2nd host. After they are done then it's a free-for-all and everyone toasts everyone else at the table the rest of the meal! WHen you toast someone, especially the host, your glass must be lower than their's, it's a sign of respect. Well, when I toasted the host I stood up and accidentally had my glass higher than his and everyone gasped. A little embarrassing! I knew that, I just didn't think about it! How many times have I toasted someone in my life, pretty sure that was the first! So many firsts and I've only been here a month!
It has taken some adjusting to life here in Weifang. It's so different! But knowing that this is where God wants me right now has helped tremendously! I've felt so much strength and comfort from Him, it's incredible! It can get very lonely! But, the people here are so kind and helpful!
Bob and I went to check out the new apartments and they are nice! Much bigger and there are actual rooms; bathroom, kitchen area, living area, bedroom!! Lovely! Next weekend! But I probably won't move in until after the first week in October because I will be in Tibet!! I know! It's okay to be a little jealous! I love you all!

1 comment:

daelynn said...

oh Kyla!! i'm so excited for you! ALl your adventure.. did you ever think China?? WOW.. you'll have to have a good cup of tea for me .. and then come home and tell me about the real stuff.. i'd love to be there.. i don't get to a computer very often but i will update myself of your travels as i do.. i think its great... miss you!